Thursday, June 23, 2011

[Sorta] Easy Bread

So. Today I woke up with a craaaaving for homemade wheat bread. Why I couldn't have just been satisfied with store-bought bread, Eggos, or Poptarts, I don't know. However, great stuff came as a result.

I had never made bread before because my mother has always made bread-making out to be a horrific nightmare, so I went into this experience hesitantly. I think I found a winner, though! I hope you think the same. Be excited.


Ingredients (only four!):

1.5 cups warm water

4 cups whole wheat flour (you can also use bread flour)

2 teaspoons yeast

2 teaspoons salt



Directions:

1. Place flour in a bowl

2. Put yeast on one side of the bowl and salt on the other


3. Pour warm water in the middle

4. Mix on low till dough comes together


5. Switch to medium and mix for 2 minutes


6. Let dough rest for 5 minutes

7. Mix dough again for 3 minutes

8. Take dough out of bowl and hand knead the dough for 3 minutes

9. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning the ball over to coat entirely

10. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel


11. Let rest for 1 1/2 hours

12. Remove from bowl; the dough will have doubled in size

13. Punch down the dough, reform the ball, and put back in bowl

14. Let rest again for 30 minutes

15. Remove from bowl and cut dough into 2 pieces

16. Form these pieces back into balls


17. Let rest, covered with a damp cloth for 1 hour

18. When dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees

19. Slash the tops of the dough balls to allow breads to expand while baking


20. Bake for 20-25 minutes


21. Top with butter or a tasty spread


22. Share!


I hope you all try this one out. I don't foresee you being disappointed, just remember to allow for adequate time. Patience is key.

Happy Thursday!


XO.

No comments:

Post a Comment