Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chunk Chippers

Good morning, sweet peas! How's Tuesday for you? For some odd but oh so great reason, I have splendid feelings about today. I would venture to say that I'm experiencing overflow from how well my Monday ended, but who knows. Who cares!
As I hinted, last night was perfect. I daresay it was a little piece of heaven. After a long day at work (and just a long day in general), I felt like spending a little time in solitude. After running to the grocery store and renting a redbox movie, I decided to do a little baking. Because I will be moving out of my apartment in the near future (tear.) to move back into the oven-and-stove-less dorms for the fall semester, I have been trying to use up my stock of baking ingredients. I had almost an entire bag of whole wheat flour, so I used this as the pivotal feature to work around. After some minutes in thought and internet research, I decided on making whole wheat chocolate chunk chippers. Mmmm. I hope you find this recipe as delightful and delicious as I found it to be. Keep in mind, too, that I substituted several ingredients for healthier alternatives. Delicious meets cookies meets wellness. Hello, perfection!

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chunk Chippers


Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup applesauce (sub. for butter)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 dark chocolate bar shaved and/or chopped into chunks (this is way cheaper than buying a bag of chocolate chips)
two handfuls chopped almonds (or pecans, macademias, etc., or omit entirely if you so desire)

Directions

First things first! For a little company:

Oh, Frank.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. On a cutting board, chop almonds and chocolate


3. Mix brown sugar, white sugar, and applesauce together in a bowl




4. Beat in eggs, one at a time

5. Stir in vanilla, salt, and baking soda until well blended

6. Fold in chocolate chunks and almonds



7. Spoon out small globs of cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet


8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown


9. Enjoy with tea and a good movie :)



I ended up enjoying these little delights while lounging on the couch and watching the Adjustment Bureau. It was a fine evening, indeed.

Chickadees, a hope you find time for some 'you time.' We all need a little break once in a while. Love from me to you.


XO. 

No comments:

Post a Comment