Friday, July 29, 2011

How to Thrift Shop

Good morning, daisies! Happy, happy Friday! This week certainly flew by; I hope the
weekend doesn’t pass as quickly. I have plans to spend time with dear friends, catch up on Stats homework, and thrift shop. Thrift shopping is an activity I have become quite familiar with this summer. Through the years, I have sporadically visited second-hand stores and others of the like (especially before clashing events or dances), but I have never really made it my mission to be a good thrift-shopper until recently. I truly think there is some sort of an art to it! I thought I’d share with you all a few tricks of the trade that I have gleaned through my thrift-travels:


1. Know the schedules of thrift stores 


Be aware of special deals or weekly sales that local thrift stores have. Goodwill has discounted items every day, including 50% off all merchandise on every other Saturday. On these days, I have been able to pick up several great pieces for under 10$. The Salvation Army also has special deals on Wednesdays. Booya. If you can plan your trips accordingly and get additional discounts, you’re sure to get more bang for your buck.



  1. Timing is everything

I can’t emphasize this enough. While there is something to be said about visiting thrift stores on clearance days, if you go late in the afternoon on a 50% off day, do not expect to find anything worth taking home with you. Keep in mind that half your neighborhood has probably already picked over the store by the time you walk in the door. I recommend checking store hours and going shortly after the doors open. I can testify that there is a world of difference between the success I have in the morning versus the afternoon.


 3.   Go with a plan


Thrift stores can be overwhelming because they usually carry clothing, shoes, furniture, accessories, and other miscellaneous items. Before you start your shopping, make a list of things you want (in your head or on paper; I prefer paper so I don't forget anything). If you go to just browse, I can guarantee you will end up spending too much time in sections irrelevant to your needs, too much money on items that clutter your closet, or just grazing over the store. Know what you're looking for and try not to deviate much.


4. Visit many


Because of the nature of second-hand and thrift stores, you will likely not love everything you see. In fact, sometimes it is hard to find something worth the penny or that's even redeemable. It truly takes perseverance to sift through those racks and look for hidden gems. Sometimes a store won't have anything that fits your requirements or taste. If so, go to another! This is a game of hit and miss. Patience and work will pay off; I have found quality items from Gap, Lucky, B. Republic, Nordstrom, Express, J. Crew, and American Eagle. They just required some searching. So make a day of it and don't rush!


5. Take a friend


Half the fun of thrifting is when you can share the time with a friend. If you go with someone who knows you well, there will indubitably be a time when they spot something that is "totally you." An extra pair of eyes will benefit you both. Not to mention how funny it is when you discover some completely ridiculous item; you will be grateful to have someone to share in the moment. The other day, my friend Rachel and I were out thrifting and came across a pair of underwear that could have fit five or six people at the same time, and that's no exaggeration. We laughed, took pictures, and even contemplated the purchase. You heard me.



6. Practice moderation 


Like every other aspect of life, it is important to stay within the parameters of moderation. Yes, the clothes are cheap. Yes, the movies are .25. But this does not warrant compulsive shopping. You will end up taking home stuff that creates clutter in your life. Instead, exercise self control and refrain from buying just to buy.






Rosies, be adventurous this weekend! Thrift, thrift, thrift, and be merry. 


XO.

No comments:

Post a Comment