Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade Cilantro, Lime, and Jalapeño Hummus

Good day, fancy folks! As promised in my crazy weather post, I bring you a new recipe to try.
I’ve been craving hummus for awhile and, with a free afternoon, I decided to tackle that craving.  Momma was ever so wonderful as to buy me two cans of chickpeas so I was already off and running. I made a trip to the Fresh ‘n’ Easy market by my house and picked up some fresh ingredients and found onions, limes, and jalapeños in the clearance section, expiration dates of July 8th. This was perfect because I saved a pretty penny and knew I would be using the ingredients right away anyway.  It’s fun to be thrifty! So, the recipe is as follows.

Homemade cilantro, lime, and jalapeño hummus
Ingredients:

Note the clearance items!
 2 cans garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), rinsed and drained
3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I got this much juice from two small limes)
3 cloves minced garlic
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
2-3 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeños
2 tablespoons dinced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste (I put quite a bit of each in order to bring out the flavors of the veggies)
Pita chips, pretzels, or warm tortilla to accompany hummus

1. Rinse and drain chickpeas



2. Squeeze lime juice


3. Mince and dice garlic cloves, Jalapeños, and onions



4. Chop up cilantro
5. In food processor, combine chickpeas, lime juice, water, jalapeños, onions, garlic, garlic powder, salt, and pepper


6. Blend until a smooth mixture is the result


7. Transfer mixture into a bowl and fold in chopped cilantro


8. Mix until fully incorporated and serve



9. Delight :)



Sunshines, your work week is in the homestretch!  Have a lovely weekend and try to be intentional in your relationships. Love, love.

XO.


1 comment:

  1. YUM! This looks good. I might have to try this out soon... or we should just make it together :)

    ReplyDelete